[Ansteorra] RE: fire chariots and cameras

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 23:02:52 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Marc Carlson wrote:
>> From: Lady Einin Ciarnait <little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com>
>> FYI...Cattle is also a generic term referring to all farm animals,
>> including oxen, sheep ,
>> horses etc:)
>
> You know, I -was- going to offer a slight disagreement here, but after
> taking a minute to verify my point I find that no, darn it, you're
> perfectly correct.  And it's not even an obsolete usage (and it's even
> correct in medieval English :) )  I -love- learning new things.
>
> Thank you
>
> Marc/Diarmaid

Yes, I agree with Diarmaid. I remember several conversations on the
SCA-Cooks list about different names for cattle and types of cattle by
age, sex and neutering, but this never came up. I appreciate Diarmaid's
verifying this.

For clarity you might still want to use a more specific term though
such as horses, since so many of the farm animals apparently included
in the term "cattle" would not have been used to draw chariots such as
oxen, sheep or pigs. Although the image of them being used is...
interesting.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------