[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Fri Jul 15 09:24:24 PDT 2005

This is a nice thought, but keep in mind that those ramps need to meet a few requirements.  First, it must be wide enough, and I don't mean just wide enough for a manual chair to go up, many use power chairs now. and believe me, it's scarey to go off the side of a ramp, I've had to lift my husband off the side of ramps more than once and he doesn't react well to it.  They also need to be of many different sizes, because a ramp isn't much use if it's too steep to go up without assistance.  Also, portable ramps, unless they are the metal ones you can purchase for a small fortune do not have handrails.  Many individuals in wheelchairs need these handrails.  Speaking of handrails, in bathrooms/portapotties, they are a necessity.  Transferring from a chair to a toilet is not as easy as it looks and handrails are often a must, unless the person "enjoys" taking their spouse into the bathroom with them for the extra support while transferring, which in many cases is impossible because of the lack of room in the "handicapped" toilets.  Most so called handicapped toilets are in no way handicapped accessible.  They may state handicapped, but the doors are not wide enough for a wheelchair to fit through, IF you can get in there is no room for both you and the chair, and more often than not, there are no handrails and the toilet is too low.  This may not seem like much of an issue to most people, but you don't know how difficult it is to get off a toilet that is too low and back into a chair.

Elizabeta of Rundel