[Ansteorra] mobility issues and the law

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jul 15 13:27:59 PDT 2005

Chass Brown (chass at allegiance.tv) said something that sounded like:
> First off on the BOD issue contact Meg she can show you where the ruleing
> is, as for the other give me a couple hours to look through it again I had
> to do the same for the BOD.

The ADA is all about reasonable access and not *total* access. For
example:

- not all parts of a restaurant have to be accessible
- not all bathrooms/stalls have to be accessible
- not all floors of a building have to be accessible

As well, the section that covers what we are talking about falls under
the ADA FAQ section at:

What are public accommodations?

A. A public accommodation is a private entity that owns, operates,
   leases, or leases to, a place of public accommodation. Places of public
   accommodation include a wide range of entities, such as restaurants,
   hotels, theaters, doctors' offices, pharmacies, retail stores, museums,
   libraries, parks, private schools, and day care centers. Private clubs
   and religious organizations are exempt from the ADA's title III
   requirements for public accommodations.

Please note that many of the private areas we rent, including religious
organizations, are explicitely exempt. There are restrictions on *new*
constructions to try to ensure they are compliant but not retrofit of old
sites unless required by law. Some businesses and churches will try to
make reasonable accommodations under the ADA in order to be more diverse
even when they are not required to.

As for events such as Gulf War and Pennsic, there are services provided
by the staff to accommodate people who need assistance such as mobility
services. The ADA is *not* about making sure that a person can do
everything themself, but that there are measures in place *if* required
by the ADA. It is also *not* about giving them the easiest choice but a
reasonable choice.

Btw, I am a handicapped individual who is protected by the ADA.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "If you want my views of history
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   then there is something you should know.