[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 17:58:10 PDT 2005

At 09:57 PM 7/14/2005, you wrote:

>(snip several good points)

>As far as anyone telling somebody that their wheelchair spoils things for
>them...Just give me a holler. I don't have any problems dealing with
>people like that. I've heard of folks that complain about people wearing
>glasses and having it spoil the ambience, but no one has ever said it to
>me. I'd love to take mine off and give both of their blurry faces a good
>talking to.

Precisely. It doesn't matter if you're talking about something as simple as
glasses, or something elaborate like a powered wheelchair. I don't know of
*anyone* who, if given a choice between having a disability and not having
it, would say "no, I like my wheelchair better than walking", or "no, I
like wearing glasses better than having 20/20 vision."

This isn't a question of ignorance, like the lady who had that great story
about the Snoopy bedsheet T-tunic, or lack of money (unless you're
comparing glasses to eye surgery) or SCA traditions and historical accuracy
like the discussion of "autocrat" vs "steward". It's a question of
necessity for the disabled person, to be able to cope with life as best
they may. That puts it into a far different category from the folks who
either don't know or don't care about how the SCA is supposed to work.

         -Tivar Moondragon