[Ansteorra] Responsibility

B. Jolene Graves meraud at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 17 21:29:56 PDT 2005

Thank you for your post Sir Jean Paul. I too post with some trepidation. We
need to take responsibility for our needs. The ADA only requires reasonable
accommodations, there is still an argument as  to who is responsible for
this. We are not going to be able to settle this argument here. I understand
that the BOD will be making ruling on this after reviewing all the legal
stuff.

I have seen many argument started from assuming too much. The event fliers
usually say if there is electricity, running water, or not. Not all camping
sites have the creature comforts of home. Camping comes with its risks.
Groups often share sites and hold multiple events a year at them. There is
no harm in calling, or e-mailing, the event steward and cook if you have
questions. Planning ahead does not mean you will definitely go to that event
(best laid plans, you know). I have missed my share of events due to sick
kidos.

Being an event steward can be an education in itself. It can be a great help
if individuals with special camping needs call ahead, or send friends ahead
to scout out the best/easiest places to camp.

Groups are always looking for event stewards to put in bids. The main part
of being a steward is organizing and talking to people. If your group is
hosting an event volunteer. This is were the rest of the sponsoring group
comes in. Help with setup and tear down. It can be so easy to just pack up
your own camp and leave on Sunday morning. Check to see if anyone needs
help. With only one action, like taking trash to the dumpster, could help
make the event easier for the staff. There was a time that the we would
claim to leave a site cleaner than we found it. l hope we still do. Sorry
for the tangent. I have been to a small number of events where there were
only a handful of people left to clean up. When a call goes out at a meeting
do not assume someone else will be there to help if you leave. If your group
is hosting an event volunteer. Many of us do, we just need to remember that
the event is not over until the site is cleared.

Meraud (Getting off her soapbox now)