[Ansteorra] Armor....what a pain

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 19:39:01 PDT 2005

   Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia asked:
> I am searching for someone to assist me in getting my shield, sword,
> helm
> and leg armor ready so that I can find a place to get authorized at
> before
> Gothic Wars gets here.

And then Jean Paul mentioned:
> Also, Stefan's floregium probably has some good resources too.

Thank you, Jean Paul!

Yes, there are a few files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium
which might be useful. I assume Muriel, that you are just trying to put
together some serviceable armor for now and that you will see about
improving it later. Even so, I thought Gothic Wars was coming up pretty
soon. It can take you much longer than you expect to get your armor
together. It certainly did me. If you are buying it, you will still
have to strap it, pad it and do various other things to make it
serviceable. I certainly wouldn't try to make a suit of mail before
Gothic Wars. :-)  Maybe someday I'll finish up the, currently
sleeveless, mail shirt I started making 15 years ago. You may be able
to get authorized in some borrowed or baronial loaner armor before you
have all of your armor completed.

Anyway, here are a few files from the COMBAT section that I'd take a
look at considering your questions above.
shields-msg      (103K)  6/16/05    SCA and period shields.
Shield-Balanc-art (10K)  6/23/99    "How to Balance your Shield to YOU!"
                                        by Master Sir Anluan Trelaine.
W-T-Shields-art   (20K)  1/19/01    "War and Tourney Shields"
                                        by HL Aaron of the Black
Mountains.
rattan-msg        (53K)  6/15/05    Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
   (Even if you already have your rattan or you will be getting it from
a local source, some of the info in here on straightening rattan, or
intentionally curving it, shaving it down etc., may be of use)

f-fighters-msg    (37K)  1/23/01    Protective gear for female fighters.
gauntlets-msg     (18K) 11/ 5/96    Hand protection, gloves, gauntlets.
gorgets-msg        (9K)  5/17/96    Gorgets. Neck protection for SCA
combat.
helmets-msg        (6K) 11/ 5/01    Helmets. SCA and period.
helm-padding-msg  (20K)  4/28/02    Padding your SCA helm. Period helm
padding.

This is a good checklist for everyone to run through before they head
off to an event, especially one a long distance from home:
armor-chklst-msg  (12K)  9/23/98    Armor checklist for SCA events and
wars.

Here's a fairly new file to the Florilegium:
SCA-armor-lnks    (11K)  6/11/05    Links to information on SCA armor
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas