[Ansteorra] The Academy of Saint Gabriel is now actively seeking new members!

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:07:19 PDT 2005

The Academy of Saint Gabriel is now actively seeking new members!

The Academy of Saint Gabriel is a group of volunteers who research medieval
names and armory. The Academy's primary purpose is to help members of the
SCA and other medieval re-enactment groups choose and use names and coats of
arms that are historically accurate for the cultures they wish to re-create.
The Academy corresponds (via e-mail) with people who are looking for
authentic names or devices. It also maintains the Medieval Names Archive
(http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/), an extensive collection of articles on
medieval names.

This is a perfect opportunity for folks who like to do historical research.
The Academy needs people who can dig out information about various cultures
- one or many, any help is useful.  But we also need volunteers who take
that research and write it up as reports which are presented to clients, and
people to proofread reports as they are written and also to read them for
clarity and accuracy.  Not to mention artistic folk who can help design
armory and create JPGs of blazons that are developed for a client.

The Academy of Saint Gabriel is not just for heralds!  It's a great fun
occupation for me as a research geek, because I get to do cool research and
learn a lot of interesting things about various cultures and the development
of medieval languages.  It's a great service opportunity as well - primarily
the Academy helps SCA members... we help them develop authentic,
well-researched names and armory, and Academy of St. Gabriel research can be
used when the member goes to submit these items to the heralds for
registration.

Information about joining the Academy is available at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/faq/heraldsfaq.html#join -- you can choose to get
emails individually, by digest, and it's even possible to read Academy email
via the web.

I joined because I wanted to learn more about Old Norse names and language,
and it's been challenging, interesting, and fun.  I hope you'll check it
out, too!

::GUNNVOR::