[Ansteorra] Quick Question on SCA Name Registry

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 10:42:07 PDT 2005

--- ansteorra-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
> On Saturday, June 4, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Ronda Roberts-Holton wrote:
> > Greetings M'lords and Ladies,
> >
> > I just had a quick question about the registry of an SCA name.  I just
> > today received the letter from the Golden Dolphin Herald saying that
> > my name has finally been approved and registered in the Kingdom of
> > Atlantia as Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia  (Muriel daughter of Donald
> > of Skye) and my question is do I have to register it in the Kingdom of
> > Ansteorra as well?
> >
> > In Service to the Dream,
> > Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia

Greetings Muriel,
I think your confusion, perhaps a valid one, is the way the Golden Dolphin Herald stated your
registration in their letter as 'registered in the Kingdom of Atlantia'.  Essentially your name is
registered 'In the SCA, as submitted by the Kingdom of Atlantia' (essentially on your behalf).
So your SCA name is registered for all kingdoms, throughout the SCA; though the work for the
processing was accomplished by Atlantia.

All Heraldic name and device registrations are listed online as public information, though most
non-herald types just don't want to dig that far into the paperwork.  However, you can find the
monthly 'Letters of Acceptances and Returns' (LoARs) at this link, from SCA Laurel officer:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/

I found your registration under the 2005 February letter of Acceptances, to wit:
"Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia. Name."   and it's followed by a paragraph of any information the
heralds discussed or changed for you, in keeping for period naming practices.

Hope that helps,
Cheers, Hillary Greenslade
(who knows a bit too much heraldry for a scribe)