[Ansteorra] King's College classes

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 14:18:27 PDT 2005

Finnacan said
> I'd like to thank my students as well. Your enthusiasm and questions
>made all the work worthwhile. I hope you enjoyed my classes as much as
>I enjoyed teaching.
>  If you missed King's College, thinking such academic events are boring
>or nothing you'd be interested in, you missed out. Yes, even you.
>Yeah...YOU.
>~Finnacan

King's College is an event I wait for every year - I rarely miss one.
It's so fun to take a class in a new medium, essentially try-it before you
buy-it. And it's great to put a face to the name of the artisans whose work
you've seen in kingdom; and to now take their class in such an open environment.

This year's organization was wonderful, from Mari's guidelines and instructions
to the teachers, to Gunnora's wonderful websites, to the site with great amenities,
and all the work Namron and her neighbors put into this event.  And the food! - I have
rarely been fed so well, so often and so much - no one went away hungry.  The Autocrat
and Ministry of A&S staff did a great one this year!  I'm still thinking on all I learned,
and can't wait for time to follow it up with more study and investigation.

Thoroughly enjoyed the scribal and paper arts classes; from Stella Silvana's creation of a kingdom

charter design (and the challenge to do it for real), to Anne of Alanwyck's class on period
pigments (and her well-timed admonishment to not have food near, just after I brought my lunch
plate to class!), Rhianon Redwulf's class on medieval bookbinding was a great inspiration to get
back to making books.  And too many conflicts of time to take it all - I wanted to spend the whole
day taking Diarmaid's shoe classes and Rondinella's costume symposia - perhaps next time.

Oh, and Finnacan's class - I thought that might be a simple 'How to make a t-tunic class' -
was I wrong - Informative on the historic names of the garb, how to properly wear them, and most
important - very entertaining.   Thanks for the inspiration.

For those who missed this great event because you think it's just about 'art', you couldn't be
more wrong - there was something for everyone.  Can't wait till next year.
Cheers, Hillary