[Ansteorra] ISO soapstone

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 19:47:31 PDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 6:20 PM, Scotty Cason wrote:
> Stefan,
> The link is not working (page not found).
> Any other links for this person?
> Thanks,
> Eoghan (Owen)

Oops. Sorry about that. It looks like he has now set up his own domain
name.
The new webpage is at: http://www.softstones.com/

I didn't see a link to this quarry on the site that Baron Bors gave,
but the page he gave probably has some other useable sources as well. I
found this doing a Google search on "The Livingstone Quarry".

For anyone who is still wondering how they might use this method of
casting in carved soapstone, this is a period technique and it can be
used to cast jewelry, belt decorations, belt ends (how about a belt end
with your device on it?), holy water vials and pilgrim badges. All done
in period in pewter as well as other materials. My biggest use has been
for SCA pilgrim badges (site tokens). The mold will easily stand up to
making several hundred tokens and the cost is only about 20 to 50 cents
each depending upon your pewter source and how big your token is.

I would be willing to teach my hands-on class at an event or possibly a
fighter practice, although outdoors in the Ansteorra summer is probably
not a real good environment. You really do want to avoid getting
moisture, such as sweat, in a mold you are going to pour molten metal
into. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas