[Ansteorra] need paintmaking help

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 11:03:02 PDT 2005

> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:13:29 -0500
> From: "Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D." <lambdakennels1 at juno.com>
> Subject: [Ansteorra] need paintmaking help
> To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>
> I took a class in paintmaking at King's College.  It was very
> interesting, and I am atte to mix some paint to use on a jewelry box I am
> making.  I have two questions, however:
> 1)  How do you make oxgall?  Do I take cattle gallbladders (ox
> gallbladders being in somewhat short supply) and drop them in a blender
> and puree then, then strain the resulting mess to get clear liquid?  Do I
> need to drain the bile from them or does it go in too?
>
><snip>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Stephanie Lilburn

Stephanie,
Ssome excellent resources for you on Oxgall were listed by Sara Penrose.
In addition to Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/),
you can also try:
Utrecht art supplies: (http://www.utrechtart.com/)
Texas Art Supplies (in Houston - http://www.texasart.com/)
Mister Art (http://www.misterart.com/)
or any fine art supply store (Michaels and Hobby Lobby probably don't carry it).

It's generally used to thin your paints to make them flow better.
Many calligraphers will use it to write with paint, as in color calligraphy.
Windsor-Newton is one of the primary sources, one bottle will likely last
you a lifetime, and it may discolor over time but it's still viable.

Good luck, Hillary