[Ansteorra] need paintmaking help

Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D. lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wed Jun 22 07:13:29 PDT 2005

I took a class in paintmaking at King's College.  It was very
interesting, and I am atte to mix some paint to use on a jewelry box I am
making.  I have two questions, however:
1)  How do you make oxgall?  Do I take cattle gallbladders (ox
gallbladders being in somewhat short supply) and drop them in a blender
and puree then, then strain the resulting mess to get clear liquid?  Do I
need to drain the bile from them or does it go in too?

2)Can you suggest some references for how paint was made in the 15th
century?  I am making glaire, and have the handout from the class, but
don't think "Because Mistress Ann said so" is going to be viewed as
adequate documentation <g>.

Any help will be appreciated.

Stephanie Lilburn
aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wolfe City, Texas 75496
K5AMK
Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog