[Ansteorra] need paintmaking help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 20:29:10 PDT 2005

Greetings Stephanie,

Are you sure that you aren't thinking of oak galls? These are balls
formed by the oak tree when it is bitten/invaded by certain bugs as a
defense. These galls are high in tannic acid. You can find out how to
use these to make ink in this file in the SCRIBAL ARTS section of the
Florilegium:
inks-msg          (46K)  5/ 3/01    Period and SCA inks for calligraphy.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/inks-msg.html

Even if I've guessed wrongly, you may find some of the other files in
this section in the Florilegium to be of use to to you. The Florilegium
can be found at: http://www.florilegium.org

For instance, the following files in the CRAFTS section might be of
interest for your second question:
paintg-panels-msg  (6K)  6/ 7/01    Wood panels as a painting medium.
painting-msg      (63K)  6/ 4/99    Period and SCA painting. terms used.
pigments-msg      (45K)  4/24/05    Period pigments. Modern sources.
Safety.

Perhaps these files in the ANIMALS section, on a different subject,
might also be of interest:
dogs-msg          (66K) 11/26/04    Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-msg.html
dogs-lnks         (16K) 11/ 2/03    Medieval dog links by Dame Aoife
Finn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-lnks.html
pets-msg         (36K) 12/30/99    Pets at SCA events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/pets-msg.html

Or these files in the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
caskets-boxes-msg (24K)  1/17/01    Medieval caskets and boxes.
Decoration and
                                        construction.
caskets-boxes-bib (20K) 12/24/02    A bibliography on medieval caskets
and boxes
                                        by Master Magnus Malleus.
Stefan

On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D. wrote:

> I took a class in paintmaking at King's College.  It was very
> interesting, and I am atte to mix some paint to use on a jewelry box I
> am
> making.  I have two questions, however:
> 1)  How do you make oxgall?  Do I take cattle gallbladders (ox
> gallbladders being in somewhat short supply) and drop them in a blender
> and puree then, then strain the resulting mess to get clear liquid?
> Do I
> need to drain the bile from them or does it go in too?
>
> 2)Can you suggest some references for how paint was made in the 15th
> century?  I am making glaire, and have the handout from the class, but
> don't think "Because Mistress Ann said so" is going to be viewed as
> adequate documentation <g>.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Stephanie Lilburn
> aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
> lambdakennels1 at juno.com
> Wolfe City, Texas 75496
> K5AMK
> Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com