[Ansteorra] Taverns/Inns in plays, poems, etc

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 13:15:13 PDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Clarissa di Firenze wrote:
> I am presently researching taverns and inns as they existed during the
> Middle Ages and Renaissance.  If you know of a period play, poem,
> story, song or painting done before 1650, please send me the reference
> so that I can view the piece and possibly include it in my research.
> The language of the piece does not matter as I am looking at taverns
> as they existed across Western Europe.

I'm not sure I have any bardic stuff or paintings that show taverns,
but you might want to take a look at the info and the references given
in this file in the ENTERTAINMENT section of the Florilegium:
taverns-msg       (41K)  3/21/02    SCA and period taverns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/taverns-msg.html

I think you can also find some information on inns in the TRAVEL
section.

This is a subject that comes up from time to time. If you write a paper
on this, or even if you just do some A&S documentation with this, I'd
love to consider it for the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com