[Ansteorra] Even More News from Gulf Wars

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sat Mar 19 11:10:12 PST 2005

Tivar wrote:
> >The Order of the Sable Talon was opened (comparable to the Sable
> >thistle but for fighting), First Sable Talon in Rapier give to Baron
> >Armand de Lacy.
>
> I'm a little confused. How does the Sable Talon differ from the Sable
> Falcon and/or the Queen's Rapier?

I have not read or heard the official proclamation, of course, but if this
is the same award that was mentioned by the Crown at the most recent Round
Table event, I believe I can shed some light on it.

The Sable Talon differs from the Sable Falcon and the Queen's Rapier in two
important ways:

1) It is an armigerous award (the other two are non-armigerous awards). This
means it conveys an Award of Arms if the recipient does not already have one
(ie, they get to be called Lord or Lady if they weren't already).

2) It is "generic", in that it can be given multiple times to the same
individual for different martial arts. In other words, just like you can get
a Sable Thistle in embroidery, and another in cooking, you can get a Sable
Talon in rapier and another in archery.

It can in fact be considered a twin to the Sable Thistle, only for the
martial activities instead of for arts and sciences.

-Emma de Fetherstan
Asterisk Herald