[Ansteorra] map of the known world

VRValkryie at aol.com VRValkryie at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 08:27:47 PST 2005

Gilyan,

I would love it if the Kingdom Seneschal would be of assistance as long as he is supportive and willing to work with me and what I have in mind.  And if possible can speak to Their Royal Majesties about possibly donating to support my continued endevours would be great too.

And excellent ont he zip code map, although I have yet to see it as I am at work and run on a Mac.... I soooo hate and detest Mac's.

Ahhh this is were apples and oranges appear. I am not purchasing a program to do the zip code map. I am purchasing a zip code file of the US and from that base data making my own maps of tha areas in question. Basically picture a humongeous map of the USA displaying all 5 digit Zipcodes, then break it into pages the size of 8.5x11. And that is what I am getting. I am also saving costs by getting it in a PDF file format only. Yes it may not have the quick features of your program or publishing capabilities, but my option was ALOT cheaper and that makes it hopefully more appealing to Kingdoms. I think the low cost of $15 per kingdom is really easy to come up with if the Kingdom just cared to donate. So far only 3 kingdoms (Atlantia, West, & Aethelmearc) have committed, although I will admit I have just now started contacting people.

I saw a similar product here in the West at the Estrella War and although nice and handy as a book it had alot of errors. On top of just making maps... All maps have all the newest heraldry for the regions in question that can be found, all my kingdom level pages will link to various aspects of the Kingdoms pages (Kingdom Officers, or other key note pages). On regional levels any links that can be applicable, and finally on branch group levels the device is a link to that groups website. So my maps are far more then just maps... they are very interactive and informative.

I appreciate the concern to not be rude, and you are in no way upsetting to me. It was one person that was very vocal last time and again I know he does not reflect the Kingdom, but it was a shock to recieve when I was just offering free goodies and stuff for the Kingdom. But I have moved on so no worries.

In Service,
Faelan ua hEogain
Royal Cartographer of Aethelmearc
Map Maker of the West

Faelan,

With the direction and assistance of our Kingdom
Seneschal, Master Modius, I have recently completed an
updated map of Ansteorra based on zip code
boundaries.  You may view it here:
www2.ocgi.okstate.edu/mapsite/aprilmap  Unfortunately,
this version is not the most recent one, as there is a
change that has not yet made it to the website.

If I may ask, what program are you using to create
your maps and where are you getting the data?  The
above map was created with ESRI's ArcMap 9.0 and
published on the internet using ArcIMS 3 (I believe
that's the version).  The zip code base file is from
2000 or 2002, I honestly can't remember.  I did price
new zip code data during the project and am extremely
curious as to where you found new zip code data for
$240?  The distributors I questioned were asking
upwards of $500 just for the states of Oklahoma and
Texas.

Also of note - at Gulf Wars last week I ran across an
Atlas of the Knowne World being sold in one of the
merchant booths.  It was privately published by a
gentleman in the East kingdom.  I left my contact
information for him as there were great discrepancies
in Ansteorra and I would like to help correct them.
If there is anything I can do to help in your
endeavor, please do not hesitate to ask.

Trying not to be rude,
Gilyan Clonmacnoise