[Ansteorra] Kingdom of Heaven demo: FYI

CAC giovanna51 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 04:44:36 PDT 2005

Good day,
    I am here to relate news of The Loch Soilleir demo for
The Kingdom of Heaven movie at the Cinemark Theater in
Webster,Texas, Saturday, May 7 from 2-5.
    We had a great demo with grey clouds and wind overhead.
Thank goodness for that. It would have been extremely hot
against the theater wall if the sun had been out. I did
bring a covered igloo with water because of my concern.
   I had a large ad poster made at Kinkos' a few weeks
before and the manager posted it on an easel in the lobby
where people could see it. We had flyers on a small table
under it, advertising the demo. I also put flyers at
Bally's Fitness Center (get the thought?)    :)  We had at
least 50 picked up from there and put 100 at a gaming store
in the area.
   We gave the manager, at his request, some banners to
hang in the theater. He was so excited by the demo. He came
out and took pictures the whole time.
   I  advertised several times on -line to the surrounding
Barony's  lists.
    I had approximately 53-55 members show up to do the
demo. I wish to thank not only my own Barony, but Stargate
as well for helping.
     We gave ourselves an hour to set up. We layed
carpeting down, put up a Royal Pavillion, as we had Royalty
attending and fighting as well. It was fun; Like a baby
event!
     We rotated Civalric with Rapier and even had some
funny juggling over the "bridge" we put on our mini-field.
     Along the sidewalk, were booths with members giving
information about: archery, knives and thrown weapons(along
with the history), illumination, charter painting (the
names of visitors were painted on small parchments and
given to them), and fiber arts. There was also beading and
weaving under the pavillion. We also had some drumming and
dancing outside as well as European dancing inside the
theater lobby.
      Pros: quite a few flyers and business cards were
given out. I had several baskets strategically placed with
SCA flyers and pencils, blank paper, etc. at many areas for
our use. Many people were very interested, some in youth
boffer. I wish I had gotten someone to just count the
visitors!! It was very well attended by movie goers.
      Cons: we should have some small cards made up on mini
clipboards so interested persons could give contact info. I
had blank cards in the baskets but they weren't used very
much.
     It is also difficult to get definite numbers of
Populace attending and an idea of the craft they will be
displaying. So, I hoped for the best until it finally came
together and I could breathe!  But, as usual, my awesome
Barony came through with flying colors! I should have known
not to worry!  :)

    Another thing would be to have posters with pictures of
Gulf War and eventing fun. I had this ready but the wind
was extreme at times.
    The biggest problem was that horses showed up without
asking in advance and it was a big concern for all. We had
many sidewalk discussions on this one!  The theater however
thought it was so hilarious that they picked the newest
teenage employee to pick up a pile of horse poop with only
rubber gloves on , taking pictures and cackling the whole
time. I bet he won't live that one down for a long time. We
tried to pick it up but they refused, saying a picture was
worth a thousand words and cackling some more!
     I will contact all newbie info I got by Wednesday and
see how it goes. It also will be interesting to see how
many call from seeing the demo.
    I hope I didn't bore with the news but I hope we all
learn from it and make it even better for the next one.
    In service,

Lady Giovanna Lena Caronna
Coastal Regional Waterbearer
Kingdom of Ansteorra