[Ansteorra] Blogs?

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue May 10 13:54:44 PDT 2005

Richard Fairbourne asked:

> What is the appeal of Blogs?

Don't care.  The essential fact is that they do, in fact, appeal to people.
(Even after twenty-seven years in the SCA, I can't define what its appeal
is.)

> Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read
> them and put their own spin on things?

I assume that most people vaguely assume that those words won't be taken out
of context, just as most people vaguely assume that words on the phone, in
letters, in reports, in circles, in articles, in speeches, or anywhere else
won't be taken out of context.  And they are just as wrong about blogs as
they are about any other context.

> What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?
> How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

If you have a problem with somebody, you should talk directly to that person
first.  That's been the standard answer to that question in Ansteorra since
before we became a kingdom, and the standard answer among civilized people
since the invention of language.  Adding the words "on a blog" doesn't
change it in any relevant way.

> Personally I would much rather talk to people on the phone
> or in person or write my private thoughts in a diary than
> something that can be accessed by anyone with a internet connection.

Neither a phone call nor a diary is a low-tech blog-equivalent.  Since the
story-tellers in the market-place in Babylon, there have always been ways to
make one's opinions a matter of public record.  The Greek Senate, the Roman
forum, the sermon or homily in church, pamphlets, broadsides, newspaper
columns, speeches, and e-lists like this one are all ways to deliberately
take a public stand.  A blog is not a new idea, but merely a different way
to do something people have done for millennia.  The essential fact is that
the personal opinions are offered to the public.

I have no desire to keep one, but blogs exist now, whether I choose to have
one or not.

> Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held
> to higher standard on a blog? If so why?

Yes, of course.  Why should blogs be any different?

A higher standard on a blog, a higher standard in a fog,
A higher standard in a fort, a higher standard up in court,
A higher standard on the field, a higher standard with a shield,
A higher standard here or there, a higher standard anywhere.
A higher standard we're held to -- a higher standard, Rich-Are-You.

> Perhaps these are easy or hard questions. Just trying
> to figure out the whole Blog concept and idea.

A blog is a new way to make public comment, and goes by the same rules as a
pamphlet, speech, newsletter column, or any other voluntary public comment.

> If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think
> is the best way to correct that situation?

Let's define two different situations.  I know that many people disagree
with me.  If nobody did, there'd be no reason to make a public statement at
all.  If I merely disagree with someone's blog, then that's no problem, and
it's reasonable to offer a counter-opinion in another blog, but that's
totally separate from the issue of having a problem with it.  If I have a
real problem, then I shouldn't counter-blog, but go talk to the person.  By
analogy, in a fight, my opponent is trying to defeat me within the rules.
That's normal behavior -- I accept it, and I can strike back under exactly
the same rules.  But if I have a real problem, I'll call hold and talk to
him.

I repeat:
If you have a problem with somebody, you should talk directly to that person
first.  That's been the standard answer to that question in Ansteorra since
before we became a kingdom, and the standard answer among civilized people
since the invention of language.  Adding the words "on a blog" doesn't
change it in any relevant way.

> Looking forward to the commentary.

Here you go.  Opinionated commentary made public.  Now all the above
discussion applies to these words just as much as they do to a blog.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin, hoping he's living up to the higher standard
he's going to be held to.  (Oh all right -- "to which he is going to be
held.")