[Ansteorra] RE: Blogs?

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 07:50:31 PDT 2005

>From: "Dale, Richard N" <DaleRN at aetna.com>
>Just trying to get some info.
>What is the appeal of Blogs?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but let's turn the question around
slightly.  You've just posted this message to a discussion list, and
expressed your feelings and asked for feedback - what's the appeal of that
to you?  My observation is that blogs/live journals are much the same in
that.  The most significant difference that I have seen is that it's easier
for most people to link to an archived message in a Blog/Live Journal than
it is to do so in the average email discussion list.  You can also limit who
responds apparently.

The actual self expression thing though is pretty much the same (Note, I
don't have a blog or a live journal nor am I inclined to get one since I
already spend way too much time as it is expressing myself on email
discussion lists)

>Do people who have Blogs think that no one will read them and put their
>own spin on things?

I think that actually they WANT people to read them and to put their own
spin on them, just as in a discussion list, a person (usually) writes hoping
for a response from others.

>What do you do if someone takes your blog out of context?

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to learn that people would do such a thing on
the Internet.
(I don't know of any recourse that is appropriate)

>How do you let someone know if something on a blog hurts you?

If they have a "Post a comment" feature, you can complain there.  Or you can
email them privately -- In both cases they may not have actually realized
just how wide their distrubution really was.   And of course, complaining to
an unrelated discussion list is always an option :)

>Personally I would much rather talk to people on the phone or in person
>or write my private thoughts in a diary than something that can be
>accessed by anyone with a internet connection.

And that's certainly your option.  I am a little confused though, if that's
the case why you are posting here, where anyone with an internet connection
can read this (and no, I'm not meaning to be a jerk here -- I'm actually
confused by the dichotomy).

>Do you think that Officers, nobles, peers etc should be held to higher
>standard on a blog? If so why?

I think ideally, people should be held to a fairly high standard regardless
of who or what they are, or where they are expressing themselves; but in
practice really can't hold people to any higher a standard than I, myself,
can manage.  I can be a thoughtless jerk at times (no, really, it CAN
happen), so am rarely surprised or disappointed when other people are
thoughtless jerks too.

>Perhaps these are easy or hard questions. Just trying to figure out the
>whole Blog concept and idea.
>If problems arise from a blog comment what do you think is the best way
>to correct that situation?

As mentioned, try to talk to them first.  If that gets you nowhere, then do
what your better angels suggest for you to do.

Marc/Diarmaid