[Ansteorra] Steppes Weather

niklas at pbgilbert.net niklas at pbgilbert.net
Thu May 26 18:04:07 PDT 2005

Hi.....

Steppes Warlord weather is a legend in this Kingdom and the Known World.

It is either hot as Hades or Raining like a Monsoon or both!!!

Study Texas weather for awhile as I have and one gains an admiration for
groups or anyone that tries to do anything out doors during this time of
the year.

Your not going to win at anytime with Texas weather and "guessing" what
to do or what it will be at any given time.

I have had heat stroke at Steppes, had a tent washed down the creek,
waded thru knee deep water as Earl Timo walked the fence near the Royal
Encampment like a tight rope with coolers floating down the creek and
chased by Tornadoes mixed with absolutely PERFECT Texas weather all on
the same site at various times in my attendance to that event.

In another hobby I participate in (amateur radio) there is a convention
in Dayton, Ohio known as "The Dayton Hamvention". In equal terms it is
like Pennisc only bigger with over 40,000 hams in attendance over a 7
day period.

It is a well know "joke" by those that attend Dayton that you will see
the 4 seasons at the event so dress and prepare accordingly.

I don't know if I would go as far to say we will get the 4 seasons at
Steppes Warlord (Waterlord), but prepare for at least 3 of the biblical
plagues.

Amusing, yes, it is, but Steppes is one of the icons and benchmarks of
our Kingdom.

My counsel is, as the Boy Scouts say...."Be Prepared" for all types of
weather and have fun!

In Service,

HE Niklas Vasilevich, RLN (Retired Landed Noble)

Tally Hooooooo.....

Chris Zakes wrote:
> At 11:34 AM 5/26/2005, you wrote:
>
>>> What's the latest word on weather for this weekend at Steppes Warlord?
>>

>> The question is, "Is Gunther attending?" (A "yes" answer has in the
>> past led to torrential rain... lol)
>>
>> Seriously, generally you can expect some thunderstorms and maybe even
>> a nearby tornado this time of year in north Texas.  Waterproof
>> containers for perishables and your clothes are not a bad idea, and if
>> it doesn't rain hard this event it sure will sometime and you'll be
>> prepared.  Bring clothes that you won't mind getting wet and/or muddy
>> just in case.
>>
>> Plan for possible thunderstorms, bring sunscreen and plenty of liquids
>> to stay hydrated (it will still be hot!)
>>
>> ::GUNNVOR::
>>
>> (I guess I've entered senility now, because I could swear that when I
>> was Just A Young Thing attending my first few Warlords, it was never
>> this hot in May, though we did still have thunderstorms and twisters
>> in the vicinity even on occasion...)
>

> I'm afraid you're mistaken. Steppes Warlord is traditionally the first
> Really Hot event of the season, and all the fighters who've been
> slacking off during the winter or spring suddenly realize how out of
> shape they really are.
>
>         -Tivar Moondragon
> (who's going to be sensible and stay in his merchant booth in the hall
> all day)

Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW		H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
niklas at pbgilbert.net	      CB,CSM,KGA,OTR,ORH,Crane,AoA
936-714-3198 Cellular            Kingdom of Ansteorra
             Society for Creative Anachronism

            Texas Dept. Of Transportation, Radio Operations
            Austin, Texas                      512-506-5141
                       pgilber at dot.state.tx.us

                        "The Eagle has landed"
         "Sable, a double-headed eagle, a bordure engrailed or"