[Ansteorra] Question 11/18

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Sat Nov 19 08:10:50 PST 2005

Many years ago, when I was a young squire, I sat on the floor in Queen
Karlana's living room, and heard her tell us, something that has really
'stuck' with me.  She described the the various 'circles' of the SCA.
First there are the peers and nobles, they look out for the Kingdom at
large and they are the smallest group.  They will tend to hold some
kingdom offices and a few local ones.  The largest group, are those that
tend to play at a local level only, these will vary from newcomers, to
even old-timers that are not being able to devote a lot of time, to the
SCA because of work, family school ect. They 'flesh' out events, provide
much of the work force for events and may have a few local offices.  The
'glue' that holds these two groups together, is composed of squires,
apprentices and protégés.  They should tend to hold most local offices,
but because of their close involvement with their 'peer'. they will tend
to have a larger view of what is going on, in the Kingdom at large.
Since gas has gotten so high, we may see even less travel, by many
folks, so keeping up the cross-pollination will be even harder.  If you
notice, the final responsibility for keeping ideas moving between
groups, ends up with being with the peers.  To me, part of being a peer,
or noble is not just teaching folks in their area of expertise, but also
teaching folks on how to be good members of the Kingdom..  I haven't
been traveling much, so I don't know exactly why folks are not inter
mixing as much.
This is just what I learned.

Cairenn