[Ansteorra] Question 11/18

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 19 11:07:45 PST 2005

Two approaches come immediately to mind, both of which actually serve the
Society as a whole over the long term:

(1) Do nothing directly, BUT leave the door / communications open -- AND
occasionally draw attention to the circumstance.  Build relationships
slowly, accepting that some participants cannot in good conscience or for
reasons of economics "play" outside their immediate area.  Perhaps organize
caravans to reduce travel costs, or travel ourselves for the purpose of
teaching.  (Right now, I am limited in means and by time, so I MAY make it
to one event a month and three or possibly four local meetings -- but I do
what I can via electronic means, and locally.)

(2) Put more energy into bridging the gaps whenever possible, and not
detracting from that wider growth.  Find the local "leaders" / influential
participants and quietly enlist their assistance in promoting Kingdom
identity and participation.  Quietly, gently work toward inclusion of those
who are not in this for the social aspects, but love "the Dream" and
particular aspects of arts, science, combat, research, and whatever else.
Enlist the assistance of the insular factions in projects that don't require
travel but do engage their core interests.

That being said, we are in a period where costs of travel and participation
make it increasingly attractive to do as much "locally" as possible.  We
also are an organization of broad and sweeping coverage, where some personal
interests do not really lend themselves well to wider community other than
as those interests lead to exchanges of techniques, "war stories" [even
artists have war stories, about their trials and travails mixing glair /
dealing with dust / cracking open molds / etc.], and other directly-shared
experience.

THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL under the broad banner of "the SCA"; we can only
encourage, not demand, identity with non-local groups or pursuits.

Ah, the joys of leadership in a volunteer organization! <VBEG>

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen