[Ansteorra] RE: Interesting site - Costs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 25 14:10:20 PST 2005

On Nov 25, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Marc Carlson wrote:

>> From: L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com>
>> Costs in Medieval Times
>>   http://members.tripod.com/Lord_Eadric/medieval.html
>>   I can't garuntee how accurate this is...but it would be a
>> starting  place for those who wanted to
>> get more indepth with their persona
>
> There are some issues that make it problematic for anything more
> serious, even if all the details are accurate.  The most obvious of
> which that not everywhere in the Middle Ages uses English money
> (although there are a lot of similarities in coinage systems and
> relative worths).  Also, these are prices from a wide area of time,
> and with inflation, coin debasements, and so on, some prices may
> not be evenly comparable.

Yes. And it often seems as if the information you want for a specific
time period and location, just isn't there. But it all helps. You
need to keep in the mind the above concerns, though.

> For an interesting comparison, in 1349/1350 in London, a regulation
> was passed regarding prices and wages, and detailing many of
> these.   Found in 24 Edward III. AD. 1350, Letter-Book F. fol. clxxxi
> "Regulations as to wages and prices in the City"; and translated
> and printed in Riley's Memorials (and reprinted at http://
> www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/histshoe/RileysMemorial/
> Fclxxxi.htm)

Thank you for this resource.

While folks are bringing up interesting resources on period prices,
here are two which are in the COMMERCE section of the Florilegium:
p-prices-msg      (59K) 11/ 7/01    Prices for medieval items.
p-prices-srcs-art (11K)  4/14/02    "A review of useful sources for
Period
                                        Prices" by Lord Anton de Stoc.

Stefan
--------