[Ansteorra] The death of Chivalry (was What has happened?)

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 09:26:17 PDT 2005

A comment was made that Chivalry is dying, to which
Master Robin of Gilwell replied that Chivalry is
always dying... has always been dying.  In other
words, the SCA isn’t changing as drastically as any of
us think.  The problems we have now are the same
problems that existed in the SCA 20-30 years ago.
This ties in quite well with a conversation I had over
the weekend where I said I feel the game is different
now than it used to be.  I was told it isn’t as
different as I think.

After giving both ideas a great deal of thought, I’m
thinking I agree.

The SCA’s existence is all about the death of
chivalry, right?  It offers something society doesn’t
– a means to save the chivalric values we perceive to
be ideal (plus, we get to dress in beautiful clothes,
create really cool things and hit people with sticks).

In that sense, this game is probably the same as it
has ever been.  Honor and chivalry have always been
present in some form, as has the lack thereof.  There
are incredible highs and devastating lows.

So, our game is the same yesterday, today and always.

I don't think that means we shouldn't be concerned
about why so many people fall away from the SCA
claiming they no longer see the ideal values in
action.  For every person we notice has left there are
a dozen or more who left that we didn’t notice.

I have a hard time believing they are all simply
delusional - not when so many are the very role models
whose presence made the game magic for me in my early
days, not when so many are newcomers brimming with
enthusiasm and promise, and especially not when I've
felt like writing that same "chivalry is dead" letter
so many times myself.

No, the sky is not falling.  We still have noble
rulers, exciting tournaments, singing, dancing, etc

That doesn't change the fact that there is an
undercurrent out there which really does cost us, both
in terms of actual numerical growth and preservation
of our heritage.

Kat MacLochlainn