[Ansteorra] courtesy

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 5 09:27:48 PDT 2005

After reading a lot of the comments, I have something that may help the matter.

Rather than expect other people to become more courteous, the easier thing
to do is to apply the message to oneself.  God knows, I need a few lessons
from the ole clue bat as it were.

When I first get into the SCA, I was truly excited about everything and
watched how I interacted with people... I said thank you, appreciated
everyone, curtesied before the presence (thrones or people), asked
permission before entering campsites, always asked before I sat in someone
else's chair, etc, etc.  As I got older, (mentally and chronologically
within the SCA, I started slipping.  It's so easy to go into a campsite
when you know someone and not ask.  To interrupt a private conversation
because well, you're older than dirt and expect everyone to know your need
is more important.  Look at what you do and how you do it and try to
improve one thing you do.  Maybe you need to stop and start thanking the
people who serve you.  It's a small simple thing but if you did that one
thing, you're helping to correct the situation.  I have my little self
improvement projects.  One of them is to ask before I enter someone's
pavilion or campground or if I have to, I apologise for doing so without
lingering.

	People learn by example and by watching peers - either their social level
or the Peers.  Rudeness makes it mark and it really is the one thing that
sticks in people's mind.
	The bottom line in the SCA is that while it's cool being the King. or a
Knight or a Laurel or even a Pelican, it's everyone's game.  I have more
fun when people are nicer and I bet that people have more fun when I'm
nicer as well.

	If everyone picks one thing and works on it.  We should see a general
improvement overall.

Regards,

Clare St. John