[Ansteorra] Etiquette Classes (Was The SCA's existance)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 19:21:55 PDT 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 8:41 PM, Racheal wrote:
> Actually no, I did not ask for an Etiquette class. I didn't know what
> classes were to be taught...as a newcomer, how could I?

>  Like alot of people, I have watched other in the society so I
> could fit in
> with them. And using my own judgement and common sense to know when
> to or
> not to offer help/criticism. And at all times trying to be polite
> even if I
> do not personnally like the person. After all, you never know who
> could be
> listening.

I'm way behind in trying to read all these recent threads. However, I
can offer some of the files and articles written by many different
people which can be found in the Florilegium which talk about the
ideals of courtesy in period and in the SCA.

courtesy-msg      (32K)  1/19/96    Courtesy guidelines in the SCA
and period.
                                        Hand-kissing and bowing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html
How-to-Behave-art (12K)  6/10/01    "How to Behave in these Current
Middle Ages"
                                        by Lady Meliora Leuedai de
Ardescote.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html
SCA-courtesy-art  (14K)  5/22/96    Courtesy guidelines by Ioseph of
Locksley.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courtesy-art.html
p-child-manrs-art  (6K)  9/29/02    "Medieval Manners for Small Folk!"
                                        by Marijah.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/p-child-manrs-art.html
courtly-love-bib  (13K) 10/15/98    Bibliography on Courtly Love.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHIVALRY/courtly-love-bib.html
courtly-love-msg  (16K)  2/ 9/01    The history and concept of
courtly love.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHIVALRY/courtly-love-msg.html
Rules-of-Love-art (10K)  5/13/02    "The Rules of Love" by Master Giles
                                        de Laval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHIVALRY/Rules-of-Love-art.html

Those that are new to the SCA might also find some of the other files
in the NEWCOMERS section to be helpful, as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com