[Ansteorra] which etiquette

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 6 10:28:43 PDT 2005

>   There is no official standard for what constitutes how you
>or I should act, no authority to correct others.  If I were to teach a class
>on etiquette, I would be stuck with having to decide WHICH etiquette to
>teach; medieval proper behavior being different from the Victorian derived
>version I was taught growing up.  SCA specific etiquette has never, as far
>as I know, been analyzed and presented in any way that would be easy to
>teach (bow before the thrones and what?)

I think as much as we practise or try to practise being medieval, the real
upshot is that we are totally modern people who are trying to pretend to be
medieval.  Some do it better than others but in the end, everyone is happy
to go home to a hot shower and air conditioning.  I think the type of
etiquette is good common sense etiquette.  For me it boils down to one rule
and that is treat people how you expect to be treated.  (In whatever
wordage you want.)  I think though that any courtesy no matter from what
period, you can figure out the person is trying to be nice or
polite.    Picking one's nose and spitting on the floor may be fine for the
Middle Ages, but we generally don't encourage it and at indoor feasts -
we're using a modern hall.   It isn't period for gentlemen to assist ladies
to the front of the Hall during court or carry a ladies basket.  I can't
really see The Duke of Buckingham stopping to carry a woman's basket
because it's heavy but we expect it somewhat of our dukes.  In  essence, I
would imagine 20th century manners are the accepted version....

Clare