[Ansteorra] courtly love and manners

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 7 10:06:26 PDT 2005

>From: Ciard49 at aol.com
>Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] which etiquette
>To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>

>I wonder if the Courtly Love ideal begun by Eleanor of Aquitaine might  not
>have had such gentlemanly ideals?
>
>Ciard

         Actually not really.  The concept of Courtly Love which is linked
to the whole troubadour thing, etc.  has nothing to do with being nice and
being well-mannered.  It was about love, between a man and woman and often
the man never spoke to the woman in question.  I think instead, those
ideals were actually developed more by the Victorians (those wonderful
people who were a major contributor to the SCA).  If you get into the whole
Code of Courtly Love, (and I suggest that Her Grace Duchess Willow knows
far more than I do about the subject), manners and courtesty to women have
very little to do with it.

Clare