Burn out - RE: [Ansteorra] chivalry

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 18:14:07 PDT 2005

I think there are several factors...

1. The natural progression from starry eyed newcomer who sees only the surface to jaded
participant who has a breadth and depth of knowledge.

No organization is going to fit our ideal. As we know more about it...
the more we see the cracks in the finish...and the more we care...the more we try
to breach the gaps...and fill the cracks...

Once you have gotten to the point you see the cracks and work on filling them...you
cannot loose your ability to see the cracks...

solution: The trick is to find things you enjoy to focus on...and to use your knowledge of how
the cracks grow to make sure that your enjoyment does not cause cracks for others to fill.

2. Dealing with people who take administrative decisions personally...

I've seen this cause more problems than any other thing in the SCA.

The SCA makes rules and regulations in reaction to problems that come up...
Everyone has to follow them...they're not always worded the best way or
even the most logical action...but the only way to change them is to work
within the system.

I've seen people fight against these rules and regulations by continually
attacking/fighting with local, regional or kingdom authorities about them
for years...they waste not only their energy...but the energy of the person they are
attacking...and drain the resources of every person and group they drag into
it...

solution: don't know...I just wish these people would wake up and smell the
coffee and realize that they are causing 100 times more damage to the SCA
with all their BS than any of the good they had brought to it in the past...

If they all they are doing in the SCA is "fighting for the cause"...then
they need to examine why they want to be in/around an orgainization that
they don't like anymore...

People keep telling me...If it's not fun don't do it...take that advice...
and leave and find other pursuits...life is too short...

3. Dealing with people who won't take responsibility for their actions...

There's nothing worse than the perpetual victim/complianer/slider...they
cause others to have to not just cover their own share of the load but to have to
figure out how to distribute and carry the victim/complianer/slider's share.

solution: listen to yourself...if you are always griping...if it's always
someone else's fault...look in a mirror and find the real culprit and take
responsibility.

my 3 cents...

Lorraine DeerSlayer