[Ansteorra] What has happened?

susan stallman bronwens at cableone.net
Mon Oct 3 21:26:07 PDT 2005

I have waited, before adding my tuppence to this conversation, to see how the line of it would run.  I have found that so many of the problems brought forward are ones I have long felt deeply about.

I am firstly dismayed to hear the news that the "period containers only" rule was so calously disregarded at Crown.  Few know the time and attention that has been invested in the work of making these treasured sites available to the SCA.  Remember that Camp Kate is a Girl Scout Camp as well as E-Ko-Wah, and to risk loosing one is to risk loosing both!  The Sooner Council was hesitant to allow alcahol at all and we are being given a dispensation upon the word and assurances of those who are working with the Council.  It would be heart breaking for the Northern Region to loose these sights due to sheer thoughtlessness and inconcideration.  Remember that we lost Camp Perkins because someone couldn't adhear to the dry sight rule.

As to the subject of courtesy and aid to the ladies of this Kingdom, the lack of attention to this vital attribute of chivalry has long pained me.  The Sisterhood of the Fox's Tail is baised upon the idea that the a lady has an obligation to inspire chivalry, and if she strives to do so then she also has the right to demand it.  Yet how tragic that any lady should need to ask aid of a gentleman.  And while I am quite willing that I carry and toil without aid, please know that if I see another lady in need I have not qualms in calling for help on her behalf.  I suspect if men knew what great regard comes from a small act of aid, and what great benefit and comfort grows from that regard, they would happily aid a lady in the smallest of task.  Even the poorest man can fill his hands with the coins of courtisy, consideration and kindness.  And to spend these coins on a lady can bring a kind of wealth beyond all reckoning.

If there are times when help is offered and the offer is refused, then I hope a lady would offer that refusal with gratitude and grace.  I know that even I must refuse help at times.  A basket may contain something fragile that needs special handeling, or perhaps it's felt that the gentleman's help could be better used by another, especially if camps are being put up or taken down.  Whatever the reason, I beg that all gentlemen know that there will always be ladies willing to have their help.  And what a wonderful way to meet knew people!

Please take my musing kindly for they are offered from a heart which wishes only the best for Ansteorra.

Always
Lady Bronwen Selwyn
Sisterhood of the Fox's Tail