[Ansteorra] Re: What has happened?

george basore murray_kinsman at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 10:01:33 PDT 2005

  Thank you Robin and Robert, for pointing out the
affection all societies have for "the good old days".
  I am 52, my "good old days" were the 50s and 60s.
The old tv show "Happy Days" extolled the virtues of
the 1950s excellently, but ignored, for obvious
reasons the darker side there of: Segregation, Senator

Joe McCarthy's communist witch hunt, the cold war
paranoia to name but a few. Then came the 1960s, The
Cuban Missle crisis(I remember Nuclear Attack drills,
Vividly, to this day), the civil rights riots, the
assassination of President Kennedy, the escallation of
the war in Vietnam, the spreading blight of groups
like the Hell's Angels, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
  This was the world I came of age in,  "The Good old
Days"? NOT!
  I am a member of the SCA for several reasons. I am a
history buff, I like the fact that my grandchildren
are learning courtly manners, but I do not forget that
in the middle ages, there was a push to reclaim a more
chivalrous outlook on life because life was getting
too cold and uncaring.  Sound familar? I'll warrant
most of you reading this joined the SCA for most of
the same reasons I did.

  Ok, I have been on the pulpit long enough.

  Yours, in service to the Dream,

Ship's Captain "Black Robert" Haddock
Captain of the Esmerelda, Commander of the Haddock Squadron
Clan Cieftain of Clan Haddock, Personal Bodyguard to the
Triumvirs of House Lightning Mist, Shield Brother to Lord
Gunnar of Gunnarsstead, Nightwolf