[Ansteorra] chivalry & stuff

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:10:05 PDT 2005

All these reasons ( as Kat so well voiced) are why I started doing the
"salons" the first of which was at Steppes A&S.

the idea was and is to give the newcomers and curious a forum to go to and
hear the "old timers" and those who have achived certain things in the SCA a
forum to teach.

The first one was very successful, and I am about to launch another one,
still pondering which event date to accept, as tons have invited me to do
one at their event!

You would be amazed even that in the wake of all the enthusiasm and success
for the first one, there were a couple people who growled and snarled at the
thought of these... when I saw Kat's post, it kinda made me remember that
part of creating the salons (laugh).

It takes more than enthusiasm and initiative to teach our newcomers, it also
take fortitude and strength and the willingness to ever trudge forward no
matter how much praise or adversity one gets.

It also above all things, takes a group of people who want to learn what it
is the SCA has to offer, what our base line expectations of courtesy are,
and the willingness to try others ideas to help shape our own traditions.

In the face of all of that, no wonder so many good people burn out :)

Larissa