[Ansteorra] which etiquette

Ciard49 at aol.com Ciard49 at aol.com
Thu Oct 6 10:52:12 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/6/2005 12:44:40 PM Central Standard Time,
nweders at mail.utexas.edu writes:

I think  though that any courtesy no matter from what
period, you can figure out  the person is trying to be nice or
polite.    Picking one's nose  and spitting on the floor may be fine for the
Middle Ages, but we  generally don't encourage it and at indoor feasts -
we're using a modern  hall.   It isn't period for gentlemen to assist ladies
to the  front of the Hall during court or carry a ladies basket.  I can't
really see The Duke of Buckingham stopping to carry a woman's basket
because it's heavy but we expect it somewhat of our dukes.  In   essence, I
would imagine 20th century manners are the accepted  version....

Clare

I wonder if the Courtly Love ideal begun by Eleanor of Aquitaine might  not
have had such gentlemanly ideals?

Ciard