[Ansteorra] Etiquette Classes (Was The SCA's existance)

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Thu Oct 6 12:03:40 PDT 2005

Your comment about going the opposite way, from 'brass hats', reminded
be of my first event. I had been to 2 pop meetings, and I brought some
stuff to merchant, to my first event, which was Simon and Tessa's
coronation.  Of course, I had no idea how to act around 'the hats', so I
was avoiding them.  One of the things that I had brought to sell, were,
my own design of stick horses and stick unicorns.  Late in the day, I
was sitting with my stuff, when Her Majesty Tessa spotted the stick
horses and headed my way. Yikes, I was trapped.  I had a nice
conversation and thus discovered that 'brass hats' don't bite.  I think,
this was when I realized that I had found a 'home'.

You never know, how your actions will influence someone else.  A Queen,
having a nice and pleasant conversation, with an unsure newbie, or
someone doing something stupid, in front of a newbie, can and will have
very different effects.  I have heard, that we almost lost one newbie,
when he saw some of us 'acting bad' at his first event.  He didn't come
back for several years, and he had a much more pleasant event the second
time and decided to stay.  He has contributed much to this Kingdom, in
many different areas.  We are lucky that he gave us a second chance.

Cairenn