[Ansteorra] [Fwd: To the People of Gleann Abhann and the SCA]

lisabetta@kjsl.com lisabetta at kjsl.com
Fri Sep 2 14:58:42 PDT 2005

Subject: [Gleann Abhann] To the People of Gleann Abhann and the SCA From:
  "Robbin Koenig" <broinnfinn at myfastmail.com>
Date:    Fri, September 2, 2005 2:44 pm
To:      gleannabhann at yahoogroups.com

Greetings from Radu and Broinnfinn, Lord and Lady Heir of Gleann
Abhann,

First and foremost, we wish to offer our deepest thanks to the
overwhelming offers of aid to ourselves personally, to all of our  friends
and family affected by this disaster, and to our Principality.
 We have been touched to tears by the concerns of mere acquaintances
and total strangers.  We also offer profound thanks to Their Majesties  of
Meridies and the Meridian Seneschal for coordinating relief efforts  to
those members of the SCA in the affected areas.

As has been posted on our behalf, our ability to communicate has been
somewhat limited. We can call out by cell, but nobody can call in to  us.
We have internet access only by invading the houses of others.   We are
grateful to the Principality Officers and the members of our  personal
household who have taken our dropped reins and have been  coordinating our
concerns.  If you do not receive quick responses to  our emails, please
give us time.  Somebody WILL get back with you.  We  apologize that our
situation has prevented us from being the kind of  Kingdom Leaders we wish
to be.

We will briefly outline our situation.  One block from our home, which  we
built less than four years ago, a neighbor was rescued by boat from  his
second story. Our house took on over eight feet of water and is a  total
loss.  Our truck, which was left behind in the evacuation,
cannot be seen at all on reconnaissance photos of the area.  The house
and all of our contents is a complete loss, and we, and our 2-month  old
son are homeless.  Our places of employment are unable to function  for
many months. We cannot get home to salvage what little we have  left
because we have been unable to get gasoline in Jackson, MS.

We tell you this, not to be self-centered, but to put a face on this
enormous tragedy.  There are thousands of people just like us - they  have
not only lost their homes, but their entire city and livelihood.   We have
discovered, through this tragedy, our enormous good fortune.   Our
lifelong involvement in the Society has given us a safety net of  people
that we never truly appreciated until this moment.  There are  many of
those thousands who are far worse off than us.  Please
remember these souls as well - we meet them at everyplace we go in
Jackson.  You may not know them, and they may know nothing of us, but  we
are united in this tragedy.  Her Ladyship found herself comforting  a
sobbing girl in Target as she bought soap because she had lost her  home
and job, and she had nowhere to turn.

In the light of this devastation, SCA matters seem trivial. But this  is
far from the case.  When all else has been lost, we cling to those  things
we still have - the slivers of normalcy and a life beyond the  loss.
Things like Gleann Abhann's First Coronation ARE important.   Because,
when all the banners, crowns and thrones are stripped away,  when we stop
addressing each other with funny titles, and go past that  we dress in
funny clothes, what is left is a community of the most  generous and
caring people that has ever existed.  This is a community  that deserves
to be celebrated and recognized and cherished for the  concern and
brotherhood that we have shared.

We are in communication (in fact, currently in the house of) the
Gleann Abhann Seneschal Master Stephan of Durham.  We are determined  that
Gleann Abhann Coronation WILL occur as soon as we can make
alternative arrangements.  As Her Ladyship says - we will do it
barefoot in our shifts in a parking lot if necessary.  We thank those  who
have assured us it will be more dignified than that!

Please keep tuned in for the final announcement of the Coronation  plans.
And we hope that the rest of the Known World will still come  and join us
in both celebration and thanksgiving.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM