[Ansteorra] RE: Pirates in Period

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Sep 9 07:45:13 PDT 2005

Eadric wrote:

> I think the difference, and the reason some people have problems
> with "pirates", and no problem with Sir Francis Drake,  is that
> Sir Francis Drake didn't go around proclaiming himself as a "pirate".

Exactly.  Piracy is (and has always been) a *crime*, defined in Black's Law
Dictionary as "Those acts of robbery and depredation upon the high seas
which, if committed on land, would have aamounted to felony.".  Calling
oneself a pirate is like calling oneself a murderer, arson or thief.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin