[Ansteorra] Re: Pirates, Privateers, etc

Beth Ellis killian at awesomenet.net
Tue Sep 13 20:10:33 PDT 2005

> For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries prior to
> the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research.

> As for me, I'd like to see some Pechneg, Thracians, Macedonians,
> Illyrians, Bythinians, Carians, Phrygians, Armenians, Lydians, Galatians,
> Paphlagonians, Lycians, Syrians, Cilicians, Misians, or Cappadocians
> personas.
>
> Mistress Xene Theriane
> 11th century Romaioi from Thessaloniki

Thank you Mistress Xene, for pointing out that the governing documents of
the SCA do not contain an early period cut-off (or geographic cut off for
that matter), despite what may be commonly believed.  While the governing
documents of the SCA do indicate that  the preferred focus of the SCA is the
European Middle Ages and Renaissance, they also clearly state that the SCA
is not restricted specifically to that locale or to those time periods.  In
addition to the passages that you've indicated, the governing documents also
state that no branch may restrict itself to a specific time and place
because that would interfere with the rights of it's members to develop
interests in other times and places.  As a person with "early" interests, I
am tired of being told that I and others who share similar interests
(including those who focus on non-European cultures) do not fit into the
SCA.  Of course we do.

Mistress Corrinne Elizabeth Drake
archaeological textile maven (and the earlier those textiles are, the
better...)