[Ansteorra] Celtic history (was: Romantic Personas)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:02:41 PDT 2005

>From: "Jay Yeates" <jyeates at realtime.net>
>>* ... But the Tuatha de Danaan (people of the goddess Danu)...
>a romantic christian monkish redaction (church sponsored propaganda used to
>enforce the christian claim on ireland and it's peoples) that has become
>accepted modern dogma.  properly rendered, their name is
>"Tuadhe d'Anu".  Anu is a incredibly ancient sky GOD (one of the first
>names
>of god recorded)... no relation to Danu / Danae (wrong time / place to have
>had relevant input).

I've been trying to figure out how to approach this, but...    If
"Danu/Danae" is from the wrong time and place to have any relevant
contribution, I'm not sure that dragging in a Sumerian God to asttribute it
to an Irish ancestral group is any -more- of the right time and place to be
relevant.

>* ... were defeated by the invading Milesian Celts between 1200 and 1700
>hundred years before Christ, and depending upon which histories you read,
>either were assimilated by the invaders,
>they (Tuadhe de Anu), those they conquered (the Fir-Bolg), those that
>conquered them (Milesians) are all "albi-gens" (does that name ring a bell?
>... it should):
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albigensian_Crusade

Again, wrong time and place to have ANY relevant influence on this topic.
"Albigensian" is derived from the name of the town of Albi in southern
France (founded in the Roman period as Albiga, which considerably post dates
any version of the Milesian/Tuadha conflict.)

>all of them had a common origin point - in the trans-sylvanian region,
>descendents of the scythians.  they are collectively know in a new and
>increasingly accepted theory as the "royal scyths".  each of the peoples
>mentioned above represent independent migrations of royal lines and their
>followers that migrated westward due to unknown reasons, pretty much
>following the path of who went before and ultimately displacing them

You know, this is an interesting re-interpretation of the Indo-European
folks coming west (not to mention SW (the Hitittes), South (The Indo Aryan
people) and west (the Tocharians).
Unfortunately, I seem to have missed any evidence (ok any -reputable-
evidence) that the Scythians had about as much in common with anyone the
Tuatha might have been as they did with the ancient Scandinavians, the
Romans, the Greeks, and so on.

>* ... or withdrew to remote areas of Ireland to be part of the Sidhe, the
>faery folk (this is a VERY brief description of them and doesn't cover very
>much about them at all).
>a good book that touches on the growing modern theory of the "royal scyths"
>and how and why they degenerated into the "fairydom" would be Laurance
>Gardners "Realm of the Ring Lords" (good mix of in-depth and accessibility
>... great note and biblio section, well indexed).  also is interesting
>reading on the rise of the symbols and myth of royalty (and "rule").

Oh, never mind...

Marc/Diarmaid