[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 28, Issue 32

Skye Dreamsinger skyeds at tex1.net
Wed Sep 14 15:11:15 PDT 2005

>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:24:26 -0500
>From: John Hirling <jhirling at gmail.com>
>Subject: [Ansteorra] Some thoughts on 'creativity' -- [was Pirates,
>	privateers, etc ]

>I applaud the Texican Privateers for starting a group that meets their
>interests and passions. That seems a wholly appropriate response when one
>finds they don't really fit in a society "dedicated to researching and
>re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe." Moreover,
>that's one effective way for historical reenactment to spread.
>
>People become disenchanted with the SCA for all sorts of reasons -- some
>valid, some not so valid. Our Society cannot be all things to all people.
>Nor should we try to be lest we become nothing to anyone.
>
>I have found the overwhelming majority of our members and players to be
>highly tolerant of efforts that grossly miss the mark -- though there will
>always be exceptions in a Society of our size and diversity. Officially, we
>ask only that people make an effort. Take this example from the on-line
>newcomers info: "For women, a plain-colored long skirt and a peasant-type
>blouse will serve. A length of cloth, such as a white dishtowel, can make a
>veil to hide modern hair. For men, try plain trousers (not jeans), and a
>peasant-style shirt that is not tucked in. A cloak, even one made of a
>blanket, can hide modern clothes. Plain black slippers or plain boots can
>serve." That doesn't ask a lot.
>
>My guess is that everyone in the SCA would draw a line somewhere. I'm not
>sure how many would welcome a soldier in World War One garb who claimed to
>be a time traveller, in the name of creativity. Hyperbole? Yes. But its all
>a matter of degree.
>
>Master Michael Silverhands, when Baron of Stargate, gave me some of the best
>advice I ever received in the SCA. "Ihon, you are going to meet people in
>this Society that take things far more seriously than you do and you are not
>going to be comfortable around them. And you are going to meet people in
>this Society that take things far less seriously than you do and you are not
>going to be comfortable around them. Find those with whom you are
>comfortable and have a good time." I would add to that, "Insofar as
>possible, treat everyone with respect. The example you set might encourage
>others to greater efforts."
>
>Those who have been part of the Society for some time have noticed that
>garb, armor, songs, poetry, dance -- probably every area of interest -- has
>become more historically accurate with the discovery of new manuscripts and
>better research. We've built on our own past. In most, if not all, cases,
>the move to greater authenticiy has not been imposed but has occured because
>people have concluded "Wow! That's pretty neat!"
>
>I take the Society's aims seriously. At the same time, I try to be tolerant
>of those who don't, hoping that time and what they see in others will work a
> [...]

And the choir sang AMEN!

Here, here, exceedingly well said, Baron Ihon!

And on another note, Jezebel the Nightmare (the black gaited Morgan) sends you her fondest greetings and is looking very forward to her next visit to Stargate!

Vale, In Servizio,
Bella Peregrina
Phuri Dai,  Kumpania Peregrina
MKA Skye