[Ansteorra] RE: Romantic Personas

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:09:30 PDT 2005

>>From reading this thread, you appear to be saying that the hollywood
>convention of what a "purate" is isn't period.  That's all that anyone else
>is saying too, and to be blunt - that's probably what they see the most of
>at events, so that's likely why there -may- be an assumption that this is
>what you are doing.    This may not be as big a fight as you seem to be
>prepared to engage in.
>
>Marc/Diarmaid

True, it may not be as big of a fight with most people, just a select few
who issue bounties on my crew and our property, to be detained and/or
stolen.

*****DISCLAIMER*****
Before I start on the following, I am not arguing or ranting. Merely
educating... people hear the word pirate and automatically freak out, and I
probably should have clarified my persona in-depth before getting this deep
into this discussion, but better late than never, eh?
********************

As for my persona, most of it is based loosely on my own family's history,
most of it is historically based, with a touch of "creativity" thrown in the
mix. I usually carry documentation at my camp for the things that the
uneducated throw out as being "out of period" so that when approached with
that argument, I can refer them to my documentation and/or research
material.

I'm not portraying a Golden Age of Piracy persona from 1775 either. My
persona was born in 1573 in Ireland... The ship that I wound up "rescuing"
was built in 1575 in Spain. There was an issue about the Cannon we display,
that it wasn't a period design... which to a point is true, it is a replica
of a deck cannon from the HMS Victory, dated 1805. But the Barrel of the
cannon is VERY similar to a period Carronade barrel, and the Carriage design
is VERY similar to other naval "truck" carriages which were coming into
popularity in the mid to late 1500's. Some of which were found on the Mary
Rose, in fact. The firelock I carry is a flintlock, which the flintlock
mechanism was invented sometime between the late 1500's and 1607. The
earliest surviving intact flintlock dates 1607. My garb is pretty generic,
but most of it falls within the pre-1600 cutoff. I wear the same "cavalier"
style hat that alot of rapier fighting personas wear, because it fits with
the look I am going for.
I've done research, and put together an educational booklet, on period
(pre-1600's) cannons and firearms.

I'm not just a stereotypical hollywierd pirate.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
Captain of the Iron Lotus
Commodore of the Allied Outlanders Fleet