[Ansteorra] TxDOT update - Rita

Martha A. Compton macpob1 at airmail.net
Thu Sep 22 16:13:10 PDT 2005

Sept, 22, 2005

*As of 10:30 this morning,  all lanes on I-10 from Sealy to Seguin are one-way going west

*TxDOT continues to work to work to make all lanes go in one direction, west, from Houston to Sealy on I-10.

*As of 12:30 today, all lanes on I-45 from Conroe to Fairfield  (90 Mile stretch) go one-way north

*Future phases to include one-way north traffic from Houston to outskirts of  Dallas.

Takes time; takes 3 DPS troopers at each on ramp for each closure; hundreds of ramps

*We understand that millions of people are trying to get out of the Houston-Beaumont areas. We are doing all we can to help them.

*We are sending all available courtesy patrols to the area to assist stranded motorists.

*We have mobilized fuel trailers statewide to deliver gasoline to motorists low on or out of gas.

*We are on the way and we ask motorists to be patient.  We will help you get safely out of harm's way and to your destination.  But this is an unprecedented storm.

*If you see a fellow motorist in need, try to lend a hand if you can.

*For those Texans concerned about relatives still in Houston, we advise against travel to Houston.  Instead, call 3-1-1 for local evacuation assistance for your loved ones.

*TxDOT is currently sending personnel and equipment to staging areas in  Bryan and Yoakum ready to start clean-up efforts once the storm subsides.

*At least 150 employees ready to clean up mess so emergency workers can get through once winds drop to 73 MPH or lower

*At this point, hundreds of thousands of people already out of harm's way

Alis volat propriis - She flies with her own wings.