[Ansteorra] TxDOT Hurricane Rita Traffic Briefing

Martha A. Compton macpob1 at airmail.net
Fri Sep 23 11:03:27 PDT 2005

Hurricane Rita Traffic Briefing

Since Thursday morning, more than 400 miles of highway has been converted one-way out of the Houston/Galveston/Beaumont area to help move motorists away from Hurricane Rita.  This is unprecedented in Texas and is of a scale that may never have occurred in the United States.

* The contra-flow route on I-45 from Houston has been extended northward to the city of Ennis at  U.S. 287 in Ellis County.  To prevent traffic delays, motorists traveling on I-45 in Navarro County should stay on the main lanes and not cross over medians onto the frontage roads. Contra-flow traffic lanes will continue northward to Ennis where it will exit at the U.S. 287 bypass to Waxahachie/Ft Worth .

* All traffic lanes on U.S. 69 from Lumberton to Woodville and from Zavalla to Huntington are one-way northbound.
* All traffic lanes on U.S. 96 from Evadale to Jasper are one-way northbound.
* All traffic lanes on I-10 from State Highway 6 to Seguin are one-way westbound.

TxDOT is working to provide fuel for vehicles that have run out of gas as they move away from Hurricane Rita.  The department has numerous trucks along main evacuation routes to give each motorist enough fuel to get out of harm's way.

Beginning at 6 p.m., Thursday, TxDOT opened its maintenance yards in areas north and west of Houston to provide gasoline to fuel-needy motorists who were directed to the sites by local signs. The yards will remain open until no more traffic comes by or if it's no longer safe to dispense gasoline.  Here is a list of TxDOT maintenance yards providing gasoline:

Fayette County
SH 71 bypass,
1/2 mile E of SH 159
2000 East SH 71 Bypass
La Grange

Leon County
2800 Commerce Street E
Buffalo Shelby County
FM 343
918 Industrial Blvd.
Nacogdoches

Lee County
1 mile north on U.S. 77
Route 1
Giddings

Freestone County
U.S. 84 West
340 US 84 West
Fairfield

Jefferson County
U.S. 96/69
at Lawrence Drive Ext.
Beaumont

Milam County
U.S. 77 North,
1.5 miles north of U.S. 190
Cameron

Anderson County
U.S. 79 S
1620 W. Palestine Avenue
Palestine

Hardin County
U.S. 69 at FM 418
Kountze

Robertson County
SH 6/US 79,
1 mile north of Hearne
1183 N. Market Street
Hearne

Cherokee/Rusk counties
U.S. 69 S609 S. Dickenson Dr.
Rusk

Alis volat propriis - She flies with her own wings.