[Ansteorra] TxDOT Hurricane Rita Traffic Briefing

Martha A. Compton macpob1 at airmail.net
Fri Sep 23 15:51:42 PDT 2005

                                                                                                 Sept. 23, 2005
Hurricane Rita Traffic Briefing

One of our top priorities right now is providing fuel for vehicles that have run out of gas as they move away from Hurricane Rita.  We face two challenges: (1) having the fuel to give motorists, and (2) getting to the vehicles that have run out of gas.

TxDOT and local law enforcement have assisted more than 5,000 stranded motorists along evacuation routes.  More than 100 highway exit and entrance ramps have been closed to evacuate more than 1.5 million people.

Roadway report
* All traffic lanes on I-10 from Sealy to Seguin are one way westbound.  The reversible lane traffic on I-10 in the Houston area has ended and normal direction and flow of traffic has resumed. Traffic reportedly moving at 30 to 50 mph.

* All traffic lanes on I-45 from Houston to Ennis at U.S. 287 in Ellis County are one way northbound. The bus crash has been cleared from the highway and traffic is flowing again. Once cleared, all main lane traffic will be directed northbound to Dallas.

* I-45 traffic in Walker County is very slow.  Area gas stations are reportedly low or out of fuel.  Personnel with fuel tanks and gas cans have been deployed to the area.

* Traffic on I-37, State Highway 35 and others in the Corpus Christi area is light right now since the mandatory evacuation order for that area has been lifted.  Anticipate increased traffic moving back into the area.

* U.S. 59 in Panola County is heavily congested in the northbound lanes -just north of the U.S. 96 junction in Shelby County.  Traffic seems to be thinning out near Marshall in Harrison County.  Gas is still available at stations along this route right now.

* All traffic lanes on U.S. 69 from Lumberton to Woodville and from Zavalla to Huntington are one way northbound.

* All traffic lanes on U.S. 96 from Evadale to Jasper are one way northbound.

* State Highway 36 traffic is slow with heavy congestion through Austin County (Bellville area).

Alis volat propriis - She flies with her own wings.