[Ansteorra] TxDOT - Hurricane Rita Roadway report

Martha A. Compton macpob1 at airmail.net
Fri Sep 23 15:59:12 PDT 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, September 23, 2005

In preparation of Rita's landfall in Texas, TxDOT now has special teams in place at our Bryan and Yoakum District offices. As soon as the hurricane winds decrease, these two teams will move toward the affected areas to remove debris from the roadway to allow first responders to get where they are needed.

Most of the staff of the Beaumont District has temporarily relocated to our Lufkin District office, where they will operate until they can move back into the Beaumont area.

The Lufkin, Beaumont, Bryan, Yoakum and Houston districts continue to assist stranded motorists in their areas.

Other TxDOT districts have sent equipment, personnel and supplies to the various districts involved in Rita-related operations.

Roadway report

  a.. All traffic lanes on I-45 from the Houston area to Ennis at U.S 287 are one way northbound. Tanker trucks have been deployed along the corridor to help improve the fuel situation.
  a.. The reverse lane traffic on I-10 from Sealy to Seguin has been discontinued and normal direction of traffic has resumed.
  a.. Travel on I-10 eastbound beyond Beltway 8 East in Houston and on U.S. 59 northbound north of State Highway 242 near Splendora is discouraged because of heavy traffic.
  a.. Traffic on I-35 northbound from Waco to Hillsboro is heavier than normal.
  a.. An additional lane was opened on I-35 northbound at the Red River (Texas-Oklahoma border). I-35 northbound had been restricted to one lane in this area for construction in Oklahoma during the last 9 months.
  a.. The reverse lane traffic on U.S. 59 from Houston to Lufkin has been discontinued and normal direction of traffic has resumed.
  a.. All traffic lanes on U.S. 69 from Lumberton to Woodville and from Zavalla to Huntington are one way northbound.
  a.. All traffic lanes on U.S. 96 from Evadale to Jasper are one way northbound.
Alis volat propriis - She flies with her own wings.