Getting Involved... (was Re: [Ansteorra] Apology from Nasir al-Fayyid)

Iago baroniago at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 17:58:54 PDT 2005

I've tried to bit my lip and not say a thing. However that failed.

What I'm hearing is that upon seeing someone she believed was being
abused she should have just ignored it.  She was not offended and
complained to someone. She was pissed off and ready to beat him to a
bloody pulp. It is being presented that only one person in the tavern
was offended. This is not the case. Only one person spoke up.  Alf
was lucky she said something. There were a few others offended and
they had no interest in speaking. A couple of big, ham-fisted squires
were about to hurt him.  Several others were offended as well. It may
very well have been a game, but a number of people saw it as abuse of
a lady.

I won't even start on the old "she didn't mind defense."  As a
teacher, I see kids and women abused who "don't care," or "deserved
it."  While it very well may be true that the play here was fine with
the lady in question. If she didn't speak up that night (and by the
accounts I've heard, she didn't), how does a person know ?

Iago