[Ansteorra] The whole pirate thing...

Meraud90 meraud90 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 21:40:56 PDT 2005

Greetings,

I keep hearing tell about Letters of Marque...as a law abiding citizen, I'm
more interested in the issuance of a Bounty. Whether the Bounty come from
the King, a Baron, or a Free Company (merely looking out for the safety and
security of their business interests, of course) makes little difference to
me.

A privateer is a mercenary with a ship...a right pricey commodity! And
claiming to be a naval captain is very presumptuous.

A pirate is an outlaw--just that simple. Lately, I have seen a number of
folks claiming publicly and proudly to be pirates. Why anyone would claim
publicly and proudly to be a murder, cutthroat, or thief, is
baffling--especially in an organization devoted to the concepts of chivalry
and honor. Still to each, his own.

The fascinating thing is that "pirates" don't like being treated like
pirates...(refer to "murder, cutthroat, or thief"). I for one don't have a
problem with having SCA "pirates"--so long as they play the part in our time
period (not some half-baked attempt at Johnny Depp in the Regency Period)
and I'm allowed to treat them accordingly.

Just one man's opinion.

Regards,
Tadhg