[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 28, Issue 28

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 07:24:30 PDT 2005

Don Pieter mentioned:
> I figured it was a head of household thing. I once call myself capt
> of the Orange Moon an SCA ship household  but decided that since I
> was not able to really command a ship and didn't have all the
> knowledge of the total in's and out's of a 16th cen ship I would
> stop calling myself Capt. Personal choice. (I still have a problem
> with rigging tacking and navigation issues)
>
> For now I have enough info to be a deck officer or master at arms
> (Most research has been in period torture and punishment.)
>
> Don Pieter

Although it is slightly earlier than the 16th century, perhaps this
article in the TRAVEL section of the Florilegium might be of use:
Seakeeping-p1-art (84K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping", by Dom. Pedro de
Alcazar.
                                        English naval power,
1450-1480. (1 of 2)
Seakeeping-p2-art (99K)  8/20/98    "Seakeeping" (part 2 of 2)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com