[Ansteorra] Some thoughts on 'creativity' -- [was Pirates, privateers, etc ]

John Hirling jhirling at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:24:26 PDT 2005

I applaud the Texican Privateers for starting a group that meets their
interests and passions. That seems a wholly appropriate response when one
finds they don't really fit in a society "dedicated to researching and
re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe." Moreover,
that's one effective way for historical reenactment to spread.

People become disenchanted with the SCA for all sorts of reasons -- some
valid, some not so valid. Our Society cannot be all things to all people.
Nor should we try to be lest we become nothing to anyone.

I have found the overwhelming majority of our members and players to be
highly tolerant of efforts that grossly miss the mark -- though there will
always be exceptions in a Society of our size and diversity. Officially, we
ask only that people make an effort. Take this example from the on-line
newcomers info: "For women, a plain-colored long skirt and a peasant-type
blouse will serve. A length of cloth, such as a white dishtowel, can make a
veil to hide modern hair. For men, try plain trousers (not jeans), and a
peasant-style shirt that is not tucked in. A cloak, even one made of a
blanket, can hide modern clothes. Plain black slippers or plain boots can
serve." That doesn't ask a lot.

My guess is that everyone in the SCA would draw a line somewhere. I'm not
sure how many would welcome a soldier in World War One garb who claimed to
be a time traveller, in the name of creativity. Hyperbole? Yes. But its all
a matter of degree.

Master Michael Silverhands, when Baron of Stargate, gave me some of the best
advice I ever received in the SCA. "Ihon, you are going to meet people in
this Society that take things far more seriously than you do and you are not
going to be comfortable around them. And you are going to meet people in
this Society that take things far less seriously than you do and you are not
going to be comfortable around them. Find those with whom you are
comfortable and have a good time." I would add to that, "Insofar as
possible, treat everyone with respect. The example you set might encourage
others to greater efforts."

Those who have been part of the Society for some time have noticed that
garb, armor, songs, poetry, dance -- probably every area of interest -- has
become more historically accurate with the discovery of new manuscripts and
better research. We've built on our own past. In most, if not all, cases,
the move to greater authenticiy has not been imposed but has occured because
people have concluded "Wow! That's pretty neat!"

I take the Society's aims seriously. At the same time, I try to be tolerant
of those who don't, hoping that time and what they see in others will work a
change. Where I draw the line is when someone expects the Society to change
to accomodate their personal agenda (and, no, that is not aimed at anyone
who has previously posted on this matter).

--ihon, OL
Baron of Stargate