[Ansteorra] RE:The whole pirate thing...

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 21:18:33 PDT 2005

Gentlemen:

If I might make a suggestion. The volume of emails from this discussion has
gotten to the point where I cannot possibly keep up with them and am going
to be forced to delete them without reading in order to find the stuff that
I really do need to keep up with. Your discussion has been interesting....to
a point, but has become somewhat tedious, as well. I suspect that there are
many others that are reaching the saturation point on the topic. My
suggestion is this: Write an article for the Blackstar, Tournaments
Illuminated, or one of the other SCA publications to educate the general
membership on the topic of pirates. Admittedly I am still not comfortable
with the idea of someone proclaiming themselves a pirate anymore than I am
comfortable with someone proclaiming themselves as an outlaw or highwayman.
Mistress Xene's post on SCA corpora brought up some interesting points on
that sort of thing. I have, however learned some things from this discussion
and look at the subject with a slightly different viewpoint, perhaps, than I
had before it. I am certain that there is more to be learned....teach us,
but do it in a way that we can read the whole argument rather than be
subjected to a zillion side points and for instances.

All this started out with a public apology which was well made. I still
maintain that if one keeps one's hands to themselves, misunderstandings like
originally occured would not happen. No gentleman, pirate, prince, merchant,
anyone is permitted to touch my person without my consent. If I offer my
hand, or engage in a mutual embrace, that is fine, but if you start touching
me in any other way, you had best be prepared to answer for it, either to
myself, or to my lord. Even in a game, manners should be considered. How we
carry ourselves and behave towards others reflects on how others see us.
That simple misunderstanding probably damaged the impression that person and
others around them view 'pirates.' That simple act may have done more damage
than simply upsetting someone. You want to be more acceptable in our
'society'....then treat every woman like a queen and every man as your
better. You will gain respect by your actions. The apology was, as I said,
nicely done, but it is a shame that it was needed at all.

I look forward to learning more about Pirates, Privateers, etc, but in a
different location.

In service to the Dream

Lady Lyneya de Grey