[Ansteorra] RE:The whole pirate thing...

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Sep 15 08:07:41 PDT 2005

Duncan wrote:

> I was merely illustrating a point. People want to say that a
> "pirate" persona is not honorable, or that the person who is
> portraying the "pirate" persona is therefore not honorable,
> based on the fact that pirates killed and stole, when there
> are a whole lot of other "accepted" personas who did the exact
> same thing.

But that's not the argument people use.  People say that a pirate persona is
not honorable because piracy is a crime.

Even if warriors also kill, a "murderer" persona is, if not inherently
dishonorable, at least unlawful and unrespectable.
Even if some soldiers loot, a "burglar" persona is, if not inherently
dishonorable, at least unlawful and unrespectable.
Even if some people burned things, an "arsonist" persona is, if not
inherently dishonorable, at least unlawful and unrespectable.
Even if some nobles betrayed their king, a "traitor" persona is, if not
inherently dishonorable, at least unlawful and unrespectable.

The word "piracy", like the words "murder", "burglary", "arson", and
"treason", doesn't merely mean an activity.  It means an activity only and
precisely when that activity is unlawful.

The word "pirate" does *not* describe a type of person who does things which
are sometimes legal and sometimes not legal.  Like "murderer", "burglar",
"arson", and "traitor", it defines a criminal.

To anyone who uses words precisely, the word pirate means an outlaw.  Nobody
would say "I'm a pirate" in a law-abiding community.  (Tortuga, yes.
London, no.)  Captain Robert Haddock wrote: "  Before aquiring a  letter of
Marque, and shipping out as privateers, my crew and I were merchant sailors,
with ship's guns for defence."  This is perfect, and does not claim outlaw
status.

But don't worry about it.  A pirate *should* be frowned on by law-abiding
personae.  That's part of the romance.   People disapproving aren't denying
you the right to have your persona; they are playing their own.  Telling
them they *shouldn't* disapprove of piracy is denying them the right to play
their personae.  (And denying them the right to espouse legal and moral
beliefs.)

You can play your persona any (safe, legal) way you think it should be
played.  And I can play my persona any (safe, legal) way I think it should
be played.  And that includes disapproving of people who choose to be
outside the law.  If you don't want people to disapprove of your actions,
don't go around claiming that those actions are criminal.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin